Saturday, August 30, 2008

Four Day Work Week? How About Three?

The week leading into Labor Day weekend is really busy for me at work. As a result, I end up working extra hours and sometimes extra days. After several days of 10 hour shifts, I am reminded of the propositions for a 4 day work week earlier in the year. The propositions were actually thought out because of high gas prices, but I wonder why we don't do this as a rule of thumb for basic sanity. We always complain about quality of life. What better way to improve quality of life than to give your employees a third day off during the week?

There are two ways to do this - most businesses work the 40 hour week in 4 days (longer shifts) while others just try to be more productive in the 4 days that they work.

A few online businesses have tried this and enjoyed better employee morale and productivity. Most note that business essentials (such as customer service) are still taken care of on the off day and someone is on call for emergencies.

In June, Wayne County in N.C. closed it's HR and social services offices as well as some other government jobs one day a week. This was meant to save on gas spending. While some workers enjoyed the change, others worried about completing tasks in 4 days and about having their schedules changed.

Aaron Newton writes a post giving 16 reasons why we should be on a 4 day work week. He covers both the 40 hour and a 30-32 hour week idea. While his post was based on gas savings, he makes a good point for improved workplace productivity and personal employee savings (childcare, gas, etc.).

Responses to Newton's post also remind us that the average American spends 2 hours a day surfing the web and calling friends at work. In my line of work, I can point out all the miscellaneous gossiping and chatting that goes on incessantly if I don't consistently walk the area to assure everyone is being productive. Apparently the next generation of laborers can surf the web, IM, text, listen to music and talk on the phone simultaneously but are unable to speak while performing tasks they are being paid to do. The minute the conversation starts, the hands stop moving. Go figure!

Personally, I would love the idea of a shorter week with less hours. 8-9 hours I could do. I think productivity would increase and we would have more time to spend with friends and families. I think people would be less stressed.

Think about it - are we built to work the way we do? 40+ hours a week after commuting to work in crowded conditions or sitting in traffic for 5 days, twice a day. It doesn't end there. Some of us are then "on call" for emergencies when the business is closed (even though we don't own the business) and many times receive calls regarding the business while at home or on the way home. In essence our time off is conditional. The cost of not answering the phone on one of these calls is cleaning up a huge mess on the day you return to work.

The cell phone and mobile internet have made us a 24 hour worker - although not as driven. Compared to the Japanese worker, but we're "at work" more than we're supposed to and are still less productive.

I know times were hard, but let's go back to the days of getting up in the morning, clubbing an animal to death for food and dragging it back to the cave for a home cooked meal.

Then let's spend the rest of the day figuring out what that shiny thing in the sky is...

4 comments:

GW said...

35 hour work week in France. They're trying to get rid of it and go back to 39.
I like the idea of a 4 day work week, but I don't think it would work.

Anonymous said...

We are currently weighing the pros and cons of a work from home vs. a compressed work week scenario. Personally as a manager my vote will always be with the compressed work week. I have 20 people to manage and they spend more time trying to work the system than actually working. They work as little as possible with me sitting 10 feet away from them - I can't even imagine the mischief that they would get into when I am not there to remind them that they have goals to meet.
BTW great topic - lovin discussin the hot button issues.

Tave said...

I was thinking about this since I have to cover some vacations at work. If I couldn't do fewer hours, I'd rather longer days and know that I have 3 days for my personal life. I just think it would bring about more sanity.

BTW, I'm also for a month of vacation time off like they do in Europe. Imagine having that?

Anonymous said...

I have to complete my fifth year (which is april 2011) to get a third week of vacation. I just took a day and a half for an extra long weekend and had the time of my life but still found myself on Tuesday wishing I hadn't taken the time because I was going to need a week to catch up. Too bad FMLA doen't stand for - Fucking Meltdown Leave Act...