Thursday, August 27, 2009

Living With Dad: Episode III

Today I tried explaining to my dad that the honey jar that's been in my cabinet has not spoiled. "Son, everything on this earth spoils and decomposes" he said in his "Mighty and Powerful Oz" voice. When I mentioned that I had just seen a documentary on the wonders of bees, he gave me that smug "you really don't know what you're talking about" look.

Does this dynamic ever change? Somehow it seems there is no possible way that in my lifetime I may have accumulated any accurate information on any topic that we discuss.

On another subject, for those of you that don't know, my dad and grandmother have been taking turns going to the hospital lately so the past two weeks have not been fun. In all of this, somehow I got a half-prop for picking the doctor that sent dad to a hospital that treated him like a king. If he could have moved in voluntarily he probably would have. Ok, maybe that's going too far, but he did love the way he was treated and felt confident that he was being cared for properly.

Lately it just seems like before I make weekend plans I call all the family elders to see how they're feeling this weekend.

Insert your "that's life" comment here...




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You just have to keep hope alive sometimes. Hope all becomes well. Believe me, I have some stories, for sometime.

-Armand